Saturday 12 December 2015

Gingerbread Spiced Cupcakes | Blogmas Day 12


I think it's safe to say that I love baking, especially at this time of year. One of the main reasons why I love baking so much is because of the fact that I get to scrap the remaining cake mixture out the bowl at the end (I cannot be the only one who does this? Sometimes I find it tastes better than the cakes themselves, ha!)


I have been wanting to make these amazing gingerbread spiced cupcakes for so long and finally got round to doing them and oh my goodness they taste and smell incredible! However, I did get an allergic reaction from the cinnamon (as highly expected), but oh well it was worth it, I couldn't not add the cinnamon into this recipe. It just wouldn't have been the same without it! I have found that everything I am allergic to I absolutely love, which is so frustrating (I must point out that it only makes my bottom lip swell up for about an hour, so it's not deadly, I am very much alive!) The smells that come from the oven when these are cooking are insanely good. This recipe is definitely one to make if you are having family and friends round this Christmas.

Ingredients
(makes 12 cupcakes)

for the cupcakes
- 150g butter, room temperature
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp milk

for the frosting
- 200g butter, room temperature
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 200g icing sugar
- sprinkle ground cinnamon (to dust over the top when finished)

Method

- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Sift together the flour and the spices in a separate bowl.
- Mix the eggs one at a time into the creamed butter and sugar and gradually add in the flour and spices.
- Place 12 cupcake cases into a muffin tray.
- Divide the mixture equally between each, filling them roughly 2/3 of the way full to allow room for them to rise.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and springy to touch.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool

to make the frosting
- Place 50g of the butter and the brown sugar into a pan and cook on a low heat until melted.
- Stir well until it forms a thick and glossy toffee sauce then leave to one side to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the rest of the butter (150g) until creamed and smooth.
- Sift in the icing sugar and beat until combined.
- Add in the toffee sauce and mix until fully combined.
- Put the frosting into a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon to finish off.




Don't these just look incredible? (if I do say so myself). I am so proud of how these turned out! They taste absolutely amazing, even if they do give me a swollen lip! I will definitely be making another batch of these this month! If you try them out, please do let me know how you find them!

Have you tried this recipe? Are you enjoying my Blogmas so far? Let me know!

Don't forget to click here and follow my blog over on Bloglovin

lots of love, 

 photo 45B4A4D3D8A7837335CCE8773E0D523A_zpsdypcxcqb.png
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© krystalcx | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig